Developer Plans for $73.8M Redevelopment in KCK, About 470 Plus Units

Developers Flaherty & Collins has submitted its plans for a $73.8 million mixed-use redevelopment project in downtown Kansas City, Kansas. Rendering credit: Kem Studio.

Posted April 30, 2024

Indianapolis-based development group Flaherty & Collins Properties has proposed plans for a $73.8 million redevelopment project in Kansas City, Kansas.

On Monday, members from the Unified Government of Kansas City, Kansas, and the Economic Development & Finance Committee reviewed a request for proposal regarding the redevelopment of properties on 4th Street and Minnesota Avenue.

Flaherty & Collins’ proposal envisions a project split into two phases. First, the developers will erect a 12-story tower holding approximately 248 residential units. Units will be a mix of studio, one-bedroom, two-bedroom and three-bedroom units. The project will have over 12,000 square feet of commercial space on the first floor, approximately 11,000 square feet of indoor amenity space and approximately 30,000 square feet of outdoor green space.

Phase two will connect a 5- and 7-story mid-rise residential building to the tower while also incorporating a concealed parking garage. The mid-rise building would hold approximately an additional 230 units consisting of a mix of studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom units. 

“The vision for this project is to develop a statement piece for downtown KCK where people can live, shop, dine and be entertained,” Flaherty & Collins developer David Wingerson said prior to the committee meeting. “The development of 4th and Minnesota will be a catalyst for additional growth downtown, and we are excited about the opportunity to deliver such an impactful project to the downtown KCK community.”

Funding for the project was also outlined by the developers during the committee meeting. Flaherty & Collins will cover 72%, or nearly $53 million. City incentives and other contributions will cover the remaining 28%, or $21 million.

Pending final approval from the UG Board of Commissioners, Flaherty & Collins plans to begin construction of the redevelopment by April 2025. The first residential units will be available by October 2026 and phase one should wrap up development by April 2027.